(EXTRACT FROM ARTICLE 4 OF THE CONSTITUTION FOR THE MANAGEMENT BOARD OF DON BOSCO TECHNICAL SECONDARY SCHOOL)
There is hereby constituted a Board of Management, which shall consist of the following members appointed by the proprietors for period of (3) years with subject to the approval of the Minister.
The Provincial Superior of the Salesians of Don Bosco in Zambia or a delegate.
FR. CHRISTOPHER RYCHICK SDB
The Minister of Education or a representative.
The Education Secretary of the Catholic Diocese of Ndola or a delegate.
The Rector of the Salesian Community, who shall convene the first board meeting on its establishment or when the previous board is dissolved and any other board meeting.
FR. LESZEK AKSAMIT SDB
The School Manager, who shall be the secretary of the board.
BR. NYONDO JOSEPH SDB
One representative of the Staff Members.
MRS. BANDA C. ALICE or delegate
Four (4) nominated members.
- Mr. Mubanga Evans
- Mr. Masanza Musompa
- Mrs. Ngosa Silvia
- Mr. Mapara Wezi
NB: THE PTA CHAIRMAN MAY FROM TIME TO TIME BE INVITED TO BOARD MEETINGS TO FACILITATE COMMUNICATION BETWEEN PARENTS AND THE BOARD OF MANAGEMENT.
MR. KALOBWE KELVIN PTA CHAIRMAN
The Board shall perform the powers necessary to carry out any function authorised in this Constitution.
The trustees and members of the committee shall not be liable otherwise than a member for any loss suffered by the school as a result of the discharge of their respective duties on its behalf, except such loss as arises from their respective wilful default, and they shall be entitled to an indemnity out of the assets of the school Board for all expenses and other liabilities incurred by them in the discharge of their respective duties.
Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the functions of the Board of Management shall be to –
- Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the functions of the Board of Management shall be to –
- provide education and educational facilities of such nature as the Minister, and the Proprietor may determine, and in particular to provide Technical education (at the Secondary School level);
- monitor budget, financial expenses and other administrative activities of the institution.
- administer, maintain and control the Educational Institution;
- borrow such sum of money as the Educational Institution may require;
- employ such persons as it may determine and on such terms and conditions as it may determine;
- enter into arrangements for its service of civil servants, teaching service, personnel and other persons;
- regulate the conditions of enrolment of students at the Educational Institution, including the numbers to be enrolled.
- determine the fees and charges to be paid by the pupils/students as tuition, Library fee, school material, maintenance, activities, School development projects and such other services as the Board may so decide to be provided;
- regulate the calendar to be observed at the Educational Institutions, the subject of instruction to be provided and the syllabi to be followed in respect of such subjects;
- decide on the conditions of suspension or expulsion of pupils/students enrolled in educational Institution;
- consider staff disciplinary cases referred to it by the Head of the Educational Institution in accordance with the Education Regulations 1993; and
- do all such things as necessary or desirable for the achievement of the aforesaid purposes.
- The Chairperson of the Management Board shall be the Provincial Superior of the Managing Agency or his representative. The representative shall be appointed from within the Salesian Family. He/She shall serve a term of three (3) years and can be re-appointed for a second term to a maximum of six (6) years.
- The members of the Board shall at their first Meeting appoint one of their members as Vice Chairperson of the Board for the same period as the Chairperson.
- The School Manager shall be a board member and secretary to the Board, but shall not be entitled to vote at a Board meeting.
- The Board shall also elect an assistant secretary for a period of three (3) years, who can be re-elected for another three (3) years.
- The Management Board may exercise its power despite a vacancy in its membership.
- An appointed member shall cease to be a member of the Board –
- Upon death;
- If the member resigns from membership by notice in writing addressed to the Chair person;
- If without the permission of the Chairperson the member is absent for three consecutive meetings of the Board; and
- If the member ceases to be a holder of the particular office or to represent the particular body by virtue of which he or she was appointed as a member of the Board.
- If he/she is unable to uphold values and interests of the education system of the school.
Pertaining to filling of vacancies the proprietor shall appoint a member to fill the vacancy or cause elections to be conducted during a meeting whenever appropriate.
The Board of Management may be dissolved or removed in the following manner or instances:-
- By resolution passed under section 4.5.(f) i, ii, iii, & iv;
- By virtue of completing the term of office;
- By an Annual General Meeting (AGM);
- By the Proprietor by means of writing if, the members are not performing as in section 4.5 (f) v.